Cheetoh Shawl for MIL

Finished!





---

Going in to widen the triangle. 

I really don't like the bikini line. It was too tall for how slim it was, so I had to go in and do a border. I had some very thin yarn in the same exact orange by coincidence so I used it. Now that I see it I really wish I had used white, which I also had in that same very thin yarn. Hindsight and all.

---

I've gotten through --- Two?? Four?? --- Color changes! But they're the very short inside bit. The cake is not as distributed in length of each color as I wanted. It's a self striping cake tho so that's nice. Maybe the ombre will look less crunched to one side when it's done. 
It does look like it has rather many changes in the non tonal lion's share. Between a sort of pre-white, to white, to white/silver, to silver/grey, to variegeted silver/grey, to variegated grey/black, to solid black. Ok yea that is a lot more variation than I first thought LOL.
I cropped the shawl bc as always with the beginning of a triangle shawl, it looks like womens underwear but even worse, the lace makes it look like lingerie LOLLLL

---


These eyelets are the same ones in the third mug tree cover beanie. As always looks different on different weights. The mug hat was more worsted and this is more DK. Not quite sock.
I was originally gonna gradually lengthen the pattern panel basically every other row but I quickly discovered aint nobody got time fo dat so it became every 18 increase (the repeat is over 8 stchs) so incorporating pattern vs stockinette panel by stair steps. I actually really like the way it looks. More organic. Now is the time to decide if I want rigid exactly measured steps or kind of just do it when it looks about right. So like cables. Gotta love a pretty cable.

---

Tip#1 On Books

I have never really liked the idea of buying one but I put some on the list and my husbands mom got some for me a few christmases ago (i honestly dont remember the year)
I was wrong. Hella wrong. I didn't want to sort through good and bad stitch bibles at random on the internet but this bad baby is definitely worth it. 
This is where I found the "cogwheel eyelets"


This book has really been useful and coincidentally is also orange on the cover lol
 It was like $30 on amazon or something.

---

Tip#2 On Design.

Stitch bibles are great because you can still "design" your own work. Who cares about measuring a scarf? If youre making a sweater just do a panel of pattern and stockinette or seed the rest. You know? 
I understood the idea when I first started but I wasn't brave enough to calculate for a larger (and more expensive as you grow) work. I didn't want to spend money on a book when all it would do was frustrate me bc the only thing I had the skill to do with it was swatches and other rectangles i.e. Dear-God-NO-I-HATE-Making-Scarves

The amount of times I'll ask my husband to calculate something and it spirals into a 30 minute conversatiom because I didn't say all of the details beyond the confines of my head.

Something like "I did XXX stitches on sock but now I need to convert it to aran. Then I need to decrease from XXX stchs to XX over a series of X rows. How many stitches go between each decrease?" 
And then the thought of doing it around mfin shoulders? UGH although speaking of which I have found raglan shoulders with a squishy yarn to be the easiest.
Stockinette gauge is really straight forward tho so there's that at least.

---


No comments:

Post a Comment